8.05.2012


I am a stranger in Milano now. And although I don't now many people yet I know I am not alone. For at least half a year I am going to live in this new city in a another country. Even though it is still Europe and only an hour and a half from where I used to live, I think I am going to see and experience a lot of new things. You will read them from the eyes of Food in the Streets.

Italy is well-known for its food culture. Although it is not completely sure where the country did get its pasta from and who invented the pizza Margherita, it is there and we all know this. The Italians are proud of their kitchen and love to enjoy it during pranzo or for dinners after work. Mamma's are cherished like they are true goddesses of the kitchen. Although big fast food restaurants exist - and Italians even seem to eat there these days - I am sure they know what's good and what's not.

In my first weeks in these city I've already encountered a lot of interesting places. My apartment is situated in an area which used to be full of industries. In the beginning of the last century it became part of the Comune di Milano. From then the rough village slowly turned into a vivid quarter of the city full of bars offering tavola fredda/calda (cold and hot plates), restaurants and pizzerias.

As in many cities, Milano has a lot of immigrants. Now I am one of them. As you might know immigrants bring their own culture and adapt it to their new 'home'. Not only does it make them feel more comfortable in a place they are not used to. It also gives them the opportunity to show their culture to 'autochthones'.

Milano is one of the more wealthier cities in Italy. This attracts people looking for opportunities. One can therefore find a lot of restaurants offering food from all over the world: there is turkish kebap (strangely enough they haven't found and Italian name for this), ristorante cinese (Chinees) and Giapponese (Japanese). Off course the Italians have found out that there is more to explore than their own beautiful kitchen and therefore these restaurants are really popular too.

One straniero/-a was very brave  and found his/her way into the Italian kitchen. This person dared to open a pizzeria you can see on the picture above. Would an Italian ever dare to visit this?